BMI or ASCAP?

Forums Film Scoring Business BMI or ASCAP?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bryan Holt Bryan Holt 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Reinchez Ng
    Reinchez Ng
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Hi everyone!

Im a film composer situated in LA. Im unsure of which PRO to join, BMI or ASCAP? What are the pros and cons of both?

Also Im international if that affects anything.

Thanks!

Profile photo of Evan Evans
    Evan Evans
    • Topics: 31
    • Replies: 110

When you say you are international, what country(s) of Citizenship do you hold? Do you know if there is a very good PRO in your country which has good relations with the major Film/TV markets of the world?

There is the possibility of joining different PROs to collect for different regions of the world. Or you can belong to one, and they will do that for you using their reciprocal agreements with other countries’ PROs to obtain the royalties due you.

PRO-BMI-ASCAP2

🎹 Evan Evans, Film Composer & Mentor, www.evanevans.org
    Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Reinchez Ng
    Reinchez Ng
    • Replies: 2

I have a Malaysian citizenship. I know there are a few PROs in my country but I don’t know much about them currently. Will find out more.

Which is better, to join different PROs from around the world or to join one in the US and let them do the reciprocal agreement with the PRO in my country? How does both of them work, specifically?

Profile photo of Bryan Holt
    Bryan Holt
    • Replies: 1

Hi Evan/All!

Refreshing this conversation, as recommended Evan – looking forward to your feedback and perspective, when convenient, on your recommendation of BMI as the better choice over ASCAP.

Many thanks,

Bryan

Bryan Holt

Composer for Film, Games and Media.

http://twitter.com/bryanholt

http://soundcloud.com/bryanholt

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.