COMPOSER CLOUD. YAY OR NAY?

Forums Film Scoring Production Quality and Technology COMPOSER CLOUD. YAY OR NAY?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 17 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jake Lefkowitz Jake Lefkowitz 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Jake Lefkowitz
    Jake Lefkowitz
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

Hey Everyone,

So as we all know, East West Composer Cloud offers us an amazing opportunity to get several of their gold libraries for a very low cost per month (or year). There is really no down side to getting it, or is there? The Play engine I’ve heard is CRAP and I’ve experienced this first hand with my Hollywood Strings Diamond. SO, should I give composer cloud a go even though the play engine is bad or put my money towards getting 1 solid library?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Dallas_Crane
    Dallas_Crane
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 5

I am not familiar with many of the play libraries. However it’s safe to say that trying it out is worth it. $30 is a sound investment to find out if there is anything of use to keep coming back for. EWQLSO harp is nice.

Profile photo of Andru Thomas
    Andru Thomas
    • Replies: 3

Hi Jake,

First, what was the last version of PLAY you used and what are the specs of your computer?

Jake Lefkowitz

Hello sir!

I have Play 1.1.4 installed and it says I can upgrade to 4.3.5. As you can tell from this, I haven’t used any play related libraries in a LONG time! My computer specs are attached below.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Andru Thomas

PLAY has significantly changed since 1.1.4. My experience has been that people who do not like PLAY used it a long time ago when it was SUPER buggy. That’s not the case anymore. IF you use the latest version, you shouldn’t have problems. Also, they will be releasing a version 5 pretty soon.

The real issues you are having however, do come from Hollywood Diamond versions. The machine you’re using isn’t quite powerful enough to use them. They are 24 bit samples and HUGE samples. Having an i5 processor and 16 GB of RAM isn’t really enough. You are better off using the Gold versions on your machine. They’re 16 bit samples. You only get one mic position, but they still sound great! I don’t really work on laptop anymore, but I know I did start one project on a Macbook Pro i7 16 GB RAM and was able to get about 55-60 tracks on it with the Hollywood orchestra before it really got sticky. Also, if you are going house EastWest stuff, MAKE SURE you use an SSD and your USB ports are 3.0. The samples are just too big to stream from an HDD with any success.

As a whole, the Composer Cloud is a GREAT way to try out everything they have. They have some really fantastic libraries you can try for a pretty small fee. I don’t use the cloud as I bought the libraries I have of theirs long ago, but I would use it in a heartbeat if I needed one of their other libraries.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Jake Lefkowitz

I see what you mean but its not like I can buy a new laptop or trade in my hollywood strings diamond for gold. (I’m guessing haha). So maybe I should try updating play and then see how the diamond library works before thinking about composer cloud

Andru Thomas

You can use the Gold libraries through the cloud

Jake Lefkowitz

OH okay thats a great point! haha thank you

Profile photo of Charles Gaskell
        Charles Gaskell
        • Topics: 4
        • Replies: 10

Full Access

Version 5 of Play is released on Monday (12th September) as a free upgrade and promises to have a whole bunch of improvements.

Profile photo of Adrian J. Sealy
    Adrian J. Sealy
    • Replies: 2

Hey I’ll weigh in, if that’s alright with you-

I don’t always talk about this unless in person, but I’ll make an exception 🙂 My current arsenal is comprised of lots of different libraries, big and small. Think of this as you being a chef in a kitchen. You could most certainly make some great meals using all the ingredients from the same brand of producer (e.g. “Goya” or “Betty Crocker”), but sometimes the beauty comes in switching it up. I’ll expand more on this shortly.

I haven’t personally used Composer Cloud, as I didn’t feel I needed it. I purchased Symphonic Orchestra Gold and StormDrum 2 while I was in college, and later on I added Symphonic Choirs and Hollywood Strings Gold. I remember falling in love with Hollywood strings when I was in college, as thats around the time it was being revealed. The samples and demos were enough to get me to say “wow I love these sounds and articulations” so I knew that I would enjoy using them. I wasn’t super impressed with absolutely everything EW had to offer, and so I shopped around for my other libraries and ended up purchasing libraries from 8Dio, and other vendors.

Back to the chef analogy, I like the idea of cooking up ‘meals’ using ingredients from different suppliers even though I have the ability to get essentially everything I need from one. Ideally, one would purchase the best/their most favored samples from their respective manufacturers and call it a day  – of course this would get expensive and overwhelming.

Instead, look at the large picture and ask yourself these questions: “Do I anticipate a lot of my upcoming projects to use these samples out of the box, or will I have a budget for an orchestra/live players?” Depending on your answer, it might be just fine for you to use strictly EWCC or it may be worth it to really find the libraries you want, be it from EW or another company.

As for PLAY engine, I’ve had my frustrations with it for sure. I’m no master of it, and I don’t like using it to be honest. Multi-outputs for whatever reason like to stay limited to 9 MIDI channels instead of 16 like Kontakt (there’s definitely a way to fix this, but I’d rather spend my time writing than fixing a DOA engine). Not to mention, [and maybe this is my DAW, Logic] Play doesn’t like to manage cpu/ram resources very efficiently. I’ve had many cues where maybe the main strings are being played through Kontakt via Spitfire Albion, and I want to use Hollywood Strings to sweeten a celli line. Play becomes the ‘tequila’ of the party and just ruins a good time with samples getting stuck, or playback latency – JUST with the HS samples, everything else plays back normally.

So with those notes, I let you decide. I won’t tell you EWCC is good or bad, but really just decide whether or not the samples you will be getting are something you’d be okay putting out for the public, and if its even necessary to use them.

For what it’s worth, here’s my “go-to” list:

Strings: LASS2, Hollywood Strings, Symphonic Orchestra

Brass: Cinebrass Pro, Symphonic Orchestra, Vienna Symphonic Library

Woodwinds: Berlin Woodwinds, VSL, Symphonic Orchestra

Percussion: Damage, Action Strikes, StormDrum 2, a $#&*ton of others

Synths: This list is too long. I made EDM many years ago so my soft synth collection is large 😛

Jake Lefkowitz

Thank you for the informative response! I understand what you’re getting at, as I am also a food snob who cooks! However, I am in college currently so I can’t afford to just buy stuff from here and there etc..as much as I want to. HOWEVER, Berklee’s program will be giving me Vienna Symphonic Libraries 1 and 2 I believe, I currently have Komplete 10 and of course I also have Hollywood strings diamond. Composer cloud intrigues me but it just worries me since Play doesn’t seem to work on my laptop. Hollywood strings doesn’t really load anything on mine without the computer freaking out. So I don’t know what the best next step for me sound libraries wise is. I feel an epic drum/percussion library is the answer so Storm drummer 3 with composer cloud excited me. UGGH haha

Profile photo of Tom Koroluk
    Tom Koroluk
    • Replies: 2

So I’ve been using Play for several years and a number of EW libraries including the Hollywood Orch Diamond . I have not had any real issues with Play. Andru’s post is bang on with regard to requirements and such.

Profile photo of Jenny Leigh
    Jenny Leigh
    • Replies: 1

So Jake, did you end up getting CC? I appreciate your question and all the responses as I’m looking at CC myself as my first attempt with libraries.  Would love to hear more pros and cons from those who’ve used CC!

Jake Lefkowitz

I didn’t get it yet, I was just looking at it again actually. I’m going to get it once Im back in Boston during the last week of January.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.