COPYWRITE/LEGAL INFORMATION BEFORE POSTING FILM SCORES/SAMPLES OF MUSIC

Forums Film Scoring Business COPYWRITE/LEGAL INFORMATION BEFORE POSTING FILM SCORES/SAMPLES OF MUSIC

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Michael Edward Burke Michael Edward Burke 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Stephanie
    Stephanie
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Hi there, i would like to know we could be provided with Legal information on how to protect samples of music before being published on Media, such as this forum and anywhere else. I have reams of information that I would like to put out there for others to peruse/be inspired by, however, not until I am sure that my work is going to be protected. Cheers, Stephanie.

Profile photo of Evan Evans
    Evan Evans
    • Topics: 31
    • Replies: 110

Hi Stephanie, can you tell us/me more about what you are referring to? I’m a little in the dark as to what you are talking about, just give me some more information and clarity and I’m sure I can help get you the best answer. Thanks!

🎹 Evan Evans, Film Composer & Mentor, www.evanevans.org
    Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube

Profile photo of Michael Edward Burke
    Michael Edward Burke
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Full Access

I have been reading the rules of copyright (they can be found at copyright.gov) and there are a variety of circulars that outline the process. Two forms, PA and SR. The latter protects you if the actual audio recording is being looped or sampled and then being used commercially. Form PA protects your intellectual and artist contribution rights to the work (sole authorship, collaboration, etc.) The best way to deposit your material, is to upload everything as one work ($35 if you use their “eCo” digital upload system). You can still title the different tracks as parts, chapters or whatever. I could not find a duration limit. Hard copy registration is also available (written score, lyrics, etc.), but it’s more expensive. $85, I think. Don’t pay a service to do it for you, as it’s a total ripoff. Many of the online copyright services shamelessly disguise themselves as being sanctioned by the copyright office of the U.S. There is only one copyright.gov, however, if you want international protection, you must register your work in every country. At that point, you may want to use a service. http://copyright.gov/

1 user thanked author for this post.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.