Exporting your Final Mix

Forums Film Scoring Production Quality and Technology Exporting your Final Mix

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Film Scoring Academy 🎶 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author

Brandon Lurie
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 1

Hi Everyone 🙂 I have a question about exporting your final mix to film. I use Logic Pro X. How does one go about exporting the entire final score to the film at the very end of the process? Is it simply exporting the audio to the movie itself? (However, this results in a quicktime version of the film)

I’m working with a director that unfortunately doesn’t have budget for a pro mixing engineer so Im doing it all myself without bouncing stems for an engineer as its only me in this project.
    Im wondering about how one goes about exporting and saving the final project. What format do you export in when you give your final version to the director? And is this the version that everyone will watch when the movie is released? I hope I’m making sense lol. Am I, in essence, providing him with the final final ‘file’ ?  I guess I would be interested to know what final process is regarding the final mix down and how to get the correct format when giving your final version to the director. All help/feedback is hugely appreciated 🙂

I am a 30 year old Film Composer/Songwriter/Producer/Multi Instrumentalist living in South Africa. I have written many songs that have been play listed across the country. My main aim is working my way to the states where I can seriously live and breath my passion for Film scoring. After all, we're all just big kids with a huge imagination 😉

Film Scoring Academy 🎶
    • Topics: 35
    • Replies: 18

Full Access

You need to provide mixdowns of all your cues (Stereo in this case, due to the project). In Logic, that is the BOUNCE AUDIO feature. Make sure to mute any audio tracks (including movie audio) that you don’t want in each cue. Highlight the region from start to end (including reverb tail time) of each cue, on the timeline ruler (highlighted area turns green). That becomes your cue export region. Check exactly what timecode the beginning of that region is, (check the film timecode burnin or logic’s timecode readout). Bounce it out, as a stereo mix, and in the filename start with “TC04024312” as appropriate, meaning “TC” = Timecode, and the timecode you write down is HHMMSSFF format (HH = Hour, MM =Minute, SS = Second, FF = Frame). They will then know where to place that file. Give them all your cues, mixed down like that, and they’ll put it in their movie.

Film Scoring Academy 🎶
    Online Social Learning and Mentorship in the Art and Craft of Scoring Music to Film, TV, Advertising, Games and Media
    http://FilmScoring.Academy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.